An interesting video posted yesterday on the usual technology and business trendcasting topics. It’s 8 minutes, so here’s the summary:
- Changes in technology – evolution over 15 years from using the phone to using email to using social media to get most of the work done (value as business tools); face to face is a constant value throughout
- Workforce – this generation less loyal, more mobile, more interested in maximizing their career than company value, especially as geography becomes a less crucial hiring factor
- Social networking – the most interesting part comes around 4:30 in, where he starts with the charming “I write a weblog…” He stresses that there is a community built, and that trust in the community and the tools has led to new ways of doing business, and talks about how he has taken action based on comments from people he’s never met. Great stuff in this portion!
- A little bit on tools such as IRC, wiki and facebook
- In the comments, some folks ask for more video and he says “I don’t think video is an efficient way for most people to consume info so I try not to do too much of it.” Agreed on the efficiency, both for consuming, and trying to find that quotable portion 6 months later. Hence this self-reminder post.